Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 21: mundane objects
From: Richard Wasserman <disfromage@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:26:42 -0500

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> One of the consequences of being a photographer for me is that wherever
> I am, I look for pictures. Sometimes I try to find something interesting
> even in totally mundane objects.

Nathan,
Sorry it took a while to respond to your photos, but I was out of town for
the holiday weekend.  I usually am a lurker on the LUG, but wanted to take
this opportunity to thank you for these pictures.  I feel that what you
said about the mundane is very true.  I am convinced that meaningful photos
can be taken anywhere.  It is not necessary to travel to exotic locales(
sometimes that is a detriment), what is needed is the desire and ability to
SEE, not just look.  I have a body of work that is not about subject
matter, actually I'm not sure what it is about.  Sometimes it's light,
sometimes composition.  Maybe I'm the Seinfeld of photographers, many of my
favorite pictures seem to be about nothing, but when I look at them I get
an emotional response.  This response is how I judge my pictures, if it's
not there they go in the reject pile.  I have a large pile of rejects!
That I think is another key to being a good photographer, shoot lots of
film and study the photos, whether you initially like them or not; learn
from your mistakes.  Well, I'll get off my soapbox now.  Thanks again for
your post, I'd like to see more.
Richard Wasserman

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 21: mundane objects)