Subject: Re: [Leica] Week 22 PAW posted
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:15:25 -0700 (PDT)

I agree with Mark here--I think it's good to see pictures at a reasonable
size when they can take the enlargement.  I don't mind waiting a few
seconds for a 50-100K JPEG to load over a modem if it means I can see
important detail. Wide angle pictures especially need to be enlarged
a bit beyond postage stamp size if one is to see the perspective properly.

When I format my better-quality pictures, I assume my limits are a 17"
monitor at 1024 x 768, and the browser at full screen view. I try to make
them as big as possible within these limits without forcing any
large-scale scrolling.

I think an ~700 pixel limit is reasonable for vertical pictures, because
it's about as much as can be displayed vertically on a 1024x768 monitor.
Unfortunately, with vertical pictures, you are limited to a much smaller
picture than horizontal, unless you want to force the viewer to scroll.

Some of the "rules" about picture size on the Web are really about not
boring random surfers with very short attention spans.  The purpose is
speed, not quality.  The name of the game is to be fast enough that they
don't click away, and you get more clicks on your site.  Since we're
supposedly into higher quality here, we don't need to follow those rules.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] Week 22 PAW posted)