Subject: Re: [Leica] Diopter
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 04:56:18 -0700 (PDT)

Lee, just to clarify, the diopter is for vision
correction (they work great if you happen to need
reading glasses). I use them instead of trying to look
through the viewfinder with glasses on.

The .58,.72,.85 refers to the viewfinder
magnification...essentially the angle of view through
the viewfinder.  A diopter doesn't change the angle of
view (though it may let you see a bit more of the
viewfinder than you would get wearing glasses and
looking through the viewfinder with them on).

A viewfinder magnifier DOES change the angle of view.
It reduces the angle of view by magnifiying the
viewfinder thereby making it easier to focus,
particularly with longer focal length lenses. The
viewfinder magnifier doesn't correct for vision
problems.