Subject: Re: [Leica] exposure advice?
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 07:16:43 -0700 (PDT)

Just remember the meter reads 18% grey. If possible
find something that color (like skin tones) in the
same sun light that you are shooting in.  Very few
shots will be pure white (a lot of the ice in Alaska
has a blue cast for example), so while the old rule of
thumb about underexposing vs. the meter by 1 to 2
stops on snow may not always work for you.

The other rule of thumb does work well...if you are
shooting in bright sunlight (probably will have a lot
of it this time of year in Alaska), shoot at f16 with
a shutter speed equal to your ISO...so if 100 ISO film
shoot f16 at 125th of a second. I still use this as an
intelligence test on what my meter tells me...amazing
how many time over the years I've found that I had the
film speed set wrong in the camera and caught it with
this method.