Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica, medium format, and good enough
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 18:06:40 +1000

>http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=792302
>
>This was shot with TMax 400 pushed to 800, M6 with 35/1.4 at 1/4
>second.  Everyone in the photo, including the chicken, has moved
>enough at 1/4 second to blur except the toddler in the center who is
>daydreaming and holding still.  A tripod would not have helped with
>this low light photo because it is the people who are moving, not
>the photographer.  Medium format would have been impossible in this
>light.

Tina,
The only problem with this shot is the shutter speed was probably too
fast!! With more blur, the image of the little girl would have been
even more dramatic. I have a desire to take an audience at the
theatre all rising to leave, with one person still in the centre; I
hope to do this for a FOM2 shot, but of course I need to be in the
correct position at the end of the applause, and probably plant a
"frozen" sitter ;-)

I often take street shots with the Hasselblad and 2 ND filters to
achieve a 1920 effect with the cars and passers by, but again, I've
not done enough of them to claim any expertise. Here a tripod is
certainly needed.

As for medium format in the above situation, the blad F lenes are
down to f2. With Tmax 3200 "something" could be done -- mind you the
chook would probably fly off in fear of the mirror slap ;-)

Cheers
- --
Alastair Firkin

http://www.afirkin.com