Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: Douglas Herr<telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 08:07:24 -0700

On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:55:36 -0400 Louis DiBacco <louis.dibacco@snet.net> wrote:

> Any brand recommendations for UV filters?
>
> I don't use hoods on any of my M6 lenses and
> the edges are getting very banged up. Thanks.

It's been at least 24 hours since the last flame war, we were overdue...

If you are just looking for something to keep the lens' filter threads from getting baged up, get a cheap UV filter and remove the glass (by any means nessesary).  If you want the UV filter to have glass in it, get a good quality multi-coated filter like B+W MRC.

Better yet, reconsider your usage of your lenses.  Is there a reason you don't use a lens hood?  The hood will help reduce flare, keep the threads from getting banged up, and help keep errant fingerprints off the front element.  Much better in most cases than a UV filter.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com