Subject: Re: [Leica] development for scanning
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 14:41:02 -0700

charles walden wrote:

> Tina
>
> I know you have mentioned this capability of photoshop / scanners on a
> couple of occasions and it made me wonder if using that technique would
> affect how you develop your negatives.  Specifically, my understanding has
> always been that film can capture a wider range of tones than paper, hence
> the need to adjust (reduce) your development to compress the dynamics of
> what the camera sees down to a range that can be printed on a reasonable
> grade of paper.
>
> But if the scanner can actually capture a wide dynamic range by scanning
> twice, it seems like you would ideally develop negatives longer and with a
> higher contrast so that you could extract the full range of what is possible
> in the film and then compress it down in Photoshop.
>
> Does this make sense?  Does anyone actually do it?  Or maybe my
> understanding of film / development / scanning / printing is off?
>
> I still print in the darkroom as opposed to digitally, but have begun to
> give some thought to it after all the discussion I've read on the LUG.
>
> thanks
> charlie

Would a double scan from a dense extended range but blocked up neg
produce a better image than a single scan made from a neg with a
comfortable tonal range which can be easily dealt with?
I don't know for sure but my vote at this point would go to the single scan.
I'm more a darkroom expert than digital but over developing my negs?
I'd not even do that to make a platinum print!

A fried Negative is a tragedy!

Mark Over Easy Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com