Subject: [Leica] Re: C41 -- The new Supra films versus Royal Gold and Fuji???
From: "tlianza" <tlianza@sequelimaging.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:17:11 -0400

I concur with the author who says that the Kodak 800 speed films can't hold
a candle to the Fuji Press 800.  I did some side by side comparisons and
found the Fuji very superior in terms of grain and sharpness, however,
thecolor rendition in natural lighting conditions leaves a lot to be desired
relative to the Kodak material.  In mixed lighting or theater photography, I
don't think you can beat the Fuji 800 press.

I shoot a lot of c41 using both Nikon and Leica gear.  My film of choice is
Kodak Portra 160 VC .  For very contrasty subject matter, i would use the NC
version of this film.  When exposed properly or overexposed by less than a
stop, this film is excellent.  It gives great color and saturation.  It was
designed to be scanned as was the entire Portra Line.  It has less contrast
and it can accomodate a tremendous dynamic range, particularly if you are
scanning the media. I have printed this on Supra, Portra and Ultra papers
and I find that proper selection of paper gives me a wide range of contrast
.

I do not use a 400 speed film.  I find that the Fuji 800 is as good as
anything in that range, especially under mixed lighting.

Tom Lianza
Technical Director
Sequel Imaging Inc.
25 Nashua Rd.