Subject: Re: [Leica] What do you think... Model Release... or not?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:58:08 -0400

At 06:59 PM 6/5/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Please pardon the question if you feel it is too far OT... I am using a
>Leica however!  :-)
>
>I am shooting a dance class with the permission of the instructor. I wish to
>use the photos for a personal documentary essay (the instructor is somewhat
>famous),  and a newspaper or magazine article. Additionally, I hope to build
>a small exhibit if I am lucky enough to produce some decent images. The
>instructor wants to use of the photos to illustrate programs and guides for
>upcomming performances of the class.
>
>My question is.... can the instructor give me a blanket release covering the
>entire class.. or should I seek an individual release from each student in
>addition to the instructor?
>
>Thanks..
>
>Jim

Jim,

You would not need model releases for your documentary project or the
magazine article; however, if the instructor wants to use them for upcoming
performances, that would be advertising and you would need individual
releases from anyone who is photographed.  With the laws getting tighter
all the time, it's just safer to go ahead and get a release from everybody
if you can.  Blanket releases aren't worth anything.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
http://www.tinamanley.com

images available from: