Subject: [Leica] Re: Noise cleaning software
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 20:24:52 -0700

I found a noise cleaning program on the Web.  It's called Neat Image, and
from the samples on the Web site, this one looks like it might do the
job.  It doesn't matter what image editor you use, since it's a standalone
program.  There's a free download, which only saves in BMP format (which
you can convert back to TIFF in a jiffy using your editor).  The full
version is $30.00.  I'm definately going to try this soon, no time right
now.  Version 1.0 came out at the end of March, so it's still a work in
progress.

Like the Photoshop action that Tina recommended, Neat Image seems primarily
intended for digital cameras. But since you create a "device" profile using
sample images, I suspect you could create a device called "Fuji Press 800"
and it wouldn't mind.  It can deal with CCD noise from a camera, so why not
CCD noise from a scanner?  People on their user forum have been talking
with the authors about film issues, with good responses.

You can find it at, oddly enough, http://www.neatimage.com  Looks like the
authors are Russian. The manual is quite explanatory (and yes, it's in
English...).

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA