Subject: [Leica] More on Model Releases.......
From: "James A. Gatlin" <jagatlin@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:06:26 -0700

If the lawyers have their way....(which they seem to do so far to often)...
I am sure the day is coming when in order to take a photo of someone
standing in the middle of a public park, you will have to get their written
consent PRIOR to taking the snap, have the document signed, witnessed and
notarized and recorded with the country clerk's office.. and you need a
separate document (which looks like a mortgage application) for each
individual frame you snap.....

But.....

Until then, under the premise that 'any signed model release is better than
nothing'... I am adopting the use of a small, simple card with the least
amount of verbiage and legalese. I realize that not having all the clauses
and details included on the release leaves me somewhat exposed to potential
problems... but I have to weigh the risks against the benefits. For example,
in almost 30 years of work, I have never had a single problem with releases
or uses. Of course, I understand that it could happen tomorrow, and one time
could bankrupt me... but I can't worry about this overly... I could also get
struck by lightening tomorrow also. But on the otherhand, I want to make
getting permission as easy and painless as possible.

The likelihood of losing a good shot because a subject refuses due to a
lengthy, intimidating all inclusive model release is far greater than having
legal problems with a small, simple signed release in hand. Therefore, for
posed, planned or studio work with models... I use the full blown ASMP
release. For other, on the spot use, I use a simple card, that does not look
like a Supreme Court Legal Brief.

By the way, the resource Tina mentioned about multi language releases is a
great tip!
Thanks Tina!

Cheers

Replies: Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] More on Model Releases.......)