Subject: RE: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:54:20 -0400

Allow me to suggest a change of focal point....Isn't the real question here
'why are we shooting strangers on the street and in public places? instead
of 'is it legal to shoot strangers on the street and in public places?'

We all see - assuming that we have any sort of sight at all - fat men and
women in tight pants, young people in love, homeless people in rags, rich
looking people passing poor people, distracted people, etc. etc. We know
what these people look like because we have seen thousands of photos of
them. So why take another? Street photography, to be meaningful, has to be
something more than simply a nicely composed photo taken of a 'street
scene:' It has to have an element of ambiguity, perhaps a touch of irony. In
short, it has to tell us something we don't know, take us some place we
haven't been. Even if that some place is simply a fascinating arrangement of
elements. Think about the images you've seen shot by the "greats" of street
photography, and I believe you'll know what I'm saying.

So the question then, might be 'why am I taking this photo?' rather than 'am
I going to be arrested for taking it?'