Subject: Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: Tim Atherton <timatherton@theedge.ca>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:06:59 -0600

> on one hand there is a trend towards personal privacy from street
> photographers, but in reality we're all increasingly (and
> seemingly willingly
> )being surveillenced and photographed by cops, security agents,
> government
> etc.

Actaully, in Canada, the Privacy Legislation is also working against
this - so it does have a positive aspect.

The new act I mention is currently only in force in Canada's 3
Territories and for businesses who deal with the Federal Government. It
goes into effect nationwide in 2003 or 2004. The Privacy Commissioner
has been running some test cases, as it where, where it is in effect. A
security company in Yellowknife was ordered to remove it's cameras that
surveilled the local high street. A CAT TV channel in Whitehorse who,
in downtime had a TV camera just showing and broadcasting activity from
the main steet was also ordered to do likewise. I believe in Kelowna
BC, under existing legislation, he is challenging either the City
Council or the RCMP over their use of street surveillance cameras.

So the legislation that may cause problems for photographers was partly
brought in to address these issues (as well as personal data sotred
electronically).

tim