Subject: RE: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:04:52 -0600

> Brave words. But when you're in someone else's country, keep in mind
> that there are very few protections afforded to the non citizen. A
> tiered application of laws is very common, and usually applied on the
> spot at a whim, or capriciously, by all too many officers of the law.
> Even in this country, it's virtually an every day occurrence that we get
> threatened by confiscation of our press credentials and incarceration.
> Believe or not, I had on more than one occasion, seen Feds tell the
> local boys to ease up and not interfere with the press.
> Slobodan Dimitrov
>

> Tim Atherton wrote:
> > A couple of Polizei saying it's forbidden (and possibly harking
> back to an outdated law?) doesn't mean much. The cops in Canada
> and the US will try the same one on even though you have a right to do so.

You take my words out of context - the point being that so far the  "you
can't photograph me" law in Germany has only been supported by a couple of
anecdotes about people being photographed and the Polizei saying you can't
which based on cops everywhere, and having worked with the German Police,
probably doesn't mean much. The point being no-one has been able to unearth
the illusive law that says this.

As for cops telling you, you can't shoot, it depends on the circumstances.
Sometimes just pack it in an move on, other times stand your ground, other
times make an appointment to see the local RCMP Chief Superintendent and
remind him that his men should know better!

tim

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Asking permission, KISS & the decisive moment)