Subject: [Leica] Re. Leica] Following Brian's admonishing to.....Shoot ! - B.D.'s "Irony #3"
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 20:57:08 -0400

"Beddoe, Neil" <nbeddoe@lehman.com> wrote:
>  I've been surprised by the reactions to this photograph.  So much so that
>  I've been back several times to see if I had the right one.  While I don't
>  want to disparage BD particularly, it does nothing for me at all.  Just a
>  picture of a girl on a hill with a bench.  Please could someone tell me what
>  I'm missing.

Hi Neil,

Not sure if you missed anything.  Either you like the photo or you don't.  Things that went
thru my mind when I first saw the photo:
- -   the incongruence (some would say irony) of the cell phone along with her formal attire,
    in a nature setting.      She is using a cell phone, isn't she ?
- -   the balance of the lady, the bench, and the sun, with a bit of help from West Point.
- -  The lady and the bench turn the back  to each other.  Are they mad with each other ?
    The bench  was made for people to admire the sunset, and she's totally oblivious to them.
     (irony #2)
- -  the position of the sun is perfect
- -  the overhanging branch gives an indication of the distance scale.
- -  the simple design of lawn (with curve), lake, mountain and sky
- -  the empty space in this photo works (don't ask me why).   I really like the composition.
   I should try to compose a wider view than I usually do.
- -  Bear Mountain nearby was my first date with my wife.  I was in love !  If I was the author, I would
   title this photo "Irony #3"

Cheers,

- - Phong