Subject: [Leica] Old Neopan and Xtol
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:35:04 -0400

Austin, I think that there are two variables in your experiment that need to
be nailed down.

1)You are assuming the Xtol is good.  Try a known film recently exposed in a
normal Xtol process for you.  If thin then it is the Xtol.  If normal then
that variable is eliminated.

2)Acquire some fresh Neopan, expose and process in the now vindicated Xtol.
I personally would do a bracketed exposure from 5 stops under to 5 stops
over.   If it comes out OK implying that the film in question is indeed
damaged by time then by comparing densities you have some direct way of
plotting how many stops to push the old film to come to some kind of normal
negative.

So:

Known film exposed properly developed in suspect Xtol:

Normal density then
Negatives thin

Discard Xtol and mix new batch
Expose fresh film in bracketed series
Start with new film exposed at
and develop  with original time.  Compare                              your
normal EI for Neopan
densities with original thin negs
and approximate new time for pushing the
old film.

Why ask for anecdotal evidence when finding the truth for your situation is
so easy?

Don
dorysrus@mindspirng.com