Subject: [Leica] Re: 0.85 v 0.72 or 0.56
From: Allan Wafkowski <allan@sohogurus.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:13:01 -0400

It sounds as if your vision has merely changed with age. If that is
correct, and at first you only needed glasses for reading, and then for
seeing far, and finally something to fill in between near and far, your
solution may not be new finder magnification at all. You might be better
served by using the correct dioptric correction. You need to determine
whether you want to view the finder while wearing your glasses or not.
If without, use the dioptric correction that allows you to see clearly
through the finder without your glasses being worn. If you want to keep
your glasses on, you need to determine from which plane you want to view
the finder. With varifocal glasses, you have, I guess, three stepless
planes. If, for example, you want to view the finder through the
mid-range plane  (the one that people view their computer screens
through) you add additional dioptric correction to allow you to see
clearly through the mid-range plane. It's, of course, the same with
whichever plane you choose, only the dioptric strength changes.

Allan