Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: homemade stop bath
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 15:03:39 -0700

At 5:05 PM -0400 6/24/02, J. Gilbert Plantinga wrote:
>On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 04:27  PM, brad daly wrote:
>
>>quick.  i just finally finished unpacking my darkroom.  i'm out of
>>stop bath and don't feel like trekking to the store to get some.  i
>>was thinking of just mixing up my own using vinegar.  about what
>>ratio of vinegar to water should i use, and about how many 11x14s
>>should i anticipate on getting?
>
>And
>
>>On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 04:33  PM, Brian Reid replied:
>>
>>Water works just fine.
>

>for FILM. I think Brad's talking about paper, but I don't have an
>answer to his question.
>
>Gilbert
>
>--

Generally, you want the acetic acid concentration to be in the range
of 2 to 4%, and vinegar is usually 4 to 8% acetic acid, so in an
emergency use pure white vinegar at 1:2. It's not really critical,
except to the longevity of your fixer.

Try not to use balsamic or pepper infused vinegar :-).

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com