Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron Hood on Summilux?
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 21:59:18 -0700

At 10:33 AM +1000 6/25/02, Paul Jones wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>I have been wanting to put an ASPG Summicron hood on my Summilux for a
>while, but have been concerned about it vignetting also. Would you be able
>to put the hood on your summilux and take a shot to see if it is okay?
>
>Thanks,
>Paul

Taking a shot doesn't do it. It will tell you if you think it might
be good enough to get by and the corners don't get completely dark,
but that's not the way to do it.

Put the lens (old Summilux) on the camera, open the back and put the
camera on B. Using a locking cable release, lock the shutter open.
Look a the back when the aperture is set at f/1.4. When holding the
camera so that you can look through one of the corners of the film
plane aperture from the baack. See what the lens opening looks like.
Now put on the hood. Does it cut into what you can see of the lens
aperture? Then it vignettes.

You can also do this by looking through the front, with the lens hood
in place. Hold the camera up so that you can see the corners of the
film plane aperture through the lens from the front. If the lens hood
interferes in any way with your seeing the corners through the full
lens opening, then the lens hood vignettes.

All this is standard practice when using large format with movements.
There you often get into strange lens positions with compendium hoods
that you have to wrestle into non-vignetting positions in the field.
Since I've written about this once a year here, there should be
further references in the archives.

I don't have an old Summilux at present, but I believe the hood does
vignette. It's better to get the right one, the 12504.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com