Subject: Re: [Leica] Eyeglasses and diopter adjustment lenses
From: rclompus@cox.net
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 21:35:04 -0400

Frank,

You asked:
This past day or so, someone answered a question about the use of diopter correction lenses with an M.  The response said that you should match the READING prescription..... could I please get a confirmation of this fact?

The viewfinder of SLRs and rangefinders are manufactured for someone having clear distance vision.  The LED readouts and other exposure indicators will often be set to virtually appear between 1 and 2 meters in front of the camera.  Corrective diopter eye pieces permit the user to correct their distance vision and as a result see the image clearly as it appears in the viewfinder/rangefinder.  If you are myopic (nearsighted), you will need a - (minus) power dioptric corective lens.  If you are hyperopic, you will need a + (plus)power dioptric lens.  This will permit you to see clearly through the camera without your glasses.

If I can be of any further help to you, please feel free to contact me.

Richard

Richard Clompus, OD (optometrist)
Roaonke, VA