Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital darkroom update
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:41:54 -0400

>  Any other scanners around that are good
> without having to sell a car to buy an Imacon?

Hi Darrell,

If you do mostly B&W, and occasional color, the Leafscan 45 is comparable,
if not better at B&W, than the Imacon (and most any other scanner).  They
are 5080 for 35mm, 2540 for MF and 1200 for 4x5.  They use a single ND
filter for scanning B&W...where all other scanners scan B&W in RGB and
convert.  It is an "older" scanner, but works perfectly with current Windows
and Mac OSs.  They sell for around $2k in near perfect condition.  Or, for
around $500, you can get a Leafscan 35, which only does 35mm at 4000SPI.

If you want more info on the Leaf, please contact me off-list.

Austin