Subject: Re: [Leica] SilverFast software
From: Carl Pultz <cpultz@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 15:27:07 -0400

Mehrdad wrote:

<product. look @ vue scan (simple to use but no ui)

I've just started using Vuescan and like it a lot for color neg. Didn't
really have any complaints about the Silverfast interface, and 'Negafix' is
very helpful. Instead, it was it's rendering of contrast that I got
frustrated with. I find Vuescan produces very long scale images, with more
natural color, and greater acuitence/sharpness of grain structure using the
milder infrared cleaning. Maybe I didn't get Silverfast setup properly, but
eight months of use should be enough to figure it out! So, maybe it is an
interface problem, or just the way this sw behaves. Hamrick used a Coolscan
III, the same scanner I have.

My Vuescan complaint: Compared to Silverfast or the latest Nikonscan sw, it
takes almost two minutes to process a 26 meg tif file after the scan is
done, on my P3, 450. That's with minimal infrared clean. Is it that slow
for the rest of you?

Worth the wait - much nicer scans, easier to 'shop.

Carl