Subject: Re: [Leica] battlefield freelancers
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 17:02:48 -0400

At 03:01 PM 7/1/02 EDT, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>Nah, Andrew, freelancing on the battlefield don't work. Even George
>Washington himself knew that on his foray to Fort Pitt in 1757.

Seth

Are you referring to

a)	Washington's expedition of 1754 to what was then north-western Virginia
(today, western Pennsylviania), in the course of which he ambushed and
killed Jumonville, starting the Seven Years' War, and fell back on a
location at Fort Necessity which led to his surrender on 4 JUL 54?

b) 	Braddock's expedition of 1755 against Fort Duquesne, which Washington
accompanied as an aide-de-camp and which resulted in the ambush and defeat
of Braddock's troops, and Braddock's death, on Fraser's Plantation at
Turtle Creek on the Monongahela River?

c)	The Forbes Expedition of 1759 which liberated Fort Duquesne and
constructed, in its stead, built Fort Pitt?  Washington was not along on
that jaunt.

(One of my fourth-great grandfathers was at all of these events, being the
sutler at Fort Necessity, the Chief of Scouts to Braddock, and the Chief
Teamster to Forbes.  It is a bit embarrassing to recount that Braddock's
Defeat occurred on Fraser's own land and him being the Chief Scout and all.)

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!