Subject: [Leica] Re: Out of the closet
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 07:48:08 -0400

Paul Chefurka <paul@chefurka.com> wrote:
>>  "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>>  I just put up a few pictures for your critique:
>>      http://www.pbase.com/phong/vieux_port
>
> I'd have been proud to have taken any of them - they make a really nice
> vignette.  I like the expression of #3, and I love the framing of #2, with
> the man's head circled by the ring.  Your handling of the timing with a
> digital camera is impressive - I have a hard time catching those moments
> with a short-lag camera like the M.
>
> Well done.  Show us more.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time, and for your kind comments.  I am using a digital SLR,
which is much better with the shutter lag than the P&S.  The framing of the head
in #2 though is 100% serendipity.  I was focusing my attention on the performer
to catch the peak moment of him catching the ring being thrown at him.  The Leica
M is definitely much more suitable for this kind of shots.  Digital is so much more
convenient though.  I can't wait for a digital M.

I wonder if a deeper depth-of-field would work better on #2, by showing the expression
of the spectators.  And also whether I should bring out more shadow details from the
bistro.

- - Phong