Subject: [Leica] RE: Neil's Spotmeter Question
From: "Leonard J. Kapner" <ljkapner@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 14:24:59 -0700

Neil,

Having the same lug-along problem as you do with a Spotmeter and various
other photographic performance aids, I have come up with a very low tech
work-around.

In the back pocket of my Domke Reporter case, which serves as a day bag
for an M6 TTL with 28mm f/2 plus 28BLF, 50mm f/1.4, 90mm f/2 and four
cassettes of film in a Photoco Film-Safe X, I carry 1/4 of a Kodak Grey
Card. If I have trepidations about any meter reading, I just bring out
the grey, take a card reading, and compare mentally to the scene
reading. If there are substantive differences, experience usually tells
me to favor the grey card reading.

95% of the time, this works for me. The other 5%, circumstances
permitting, I bracket 1/2 or 1 over and under, then choose the best
image from the contact sheet. Since beginning to carry the grey card, my
M system exposures are much more consistent.

There you are: A $5.00 solution to a $500.00 problem!

Then again, I could buy an M7, throw away the grey card and not have to
worry about exposure mistakes ever again, if Tina's right.

There you are: A $2,500.00 solution to a $5.00 problem...

Regards,

/Len/
Leonard J. Kapner
Tel: (310) 377-5060