Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Neil's Spotmeter Question
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 01:08:48 +0100

Len & Tina thanks. :)

Actually I carry the same thing, but I normally don't use it unless I'm
paranoid. LOL The trick I use most of the time and have no problem with is
the correction factor I have established for my pale left hand. I simply
metered a grey card, looked at it's EV value, then compared it to my palm
which is around 1 1/2 stops open from mid tone (my pet peeve with the M's I
really wish they could do 1/3rd stops - again sometimes - but no body is
perfect eh). So a lot of the time I don't carry anything and I get very
decent exposures this way. Set and forget for a good part of the day.

Unfortunately, its when I really need the one degree spot thats the issue,
ie, when the subject is in a totally different light to me, its miles away,
or I need to establish the SBR for Zone System control. As you can guess I
use my M's for everything incl. a lot of travel photography. Not to mention
the very frequent times I'm stuck hiding in a corner somewhere like Ronnie
Scotts trying to grab a reading off someones face. Over the years I have got
a lot better at this just by experience as you say.

I still have a long way to go but I'm getting better. What I do is take my
meters with me and take readings at certain times of the days and in places
with controlled lighting. I note the exposures and try to remember them. A
lot of places I go I'd get thrown out of if spotted with a Camera. In fact,
last time I was at a performance the usual "No flash photography" came over
the loudspeaker, so there I am in a good spot snapping away with the black
M6 being stared at with daggers by the Singer in this band. During the
interval the anouncement came up again but added a "Err actually no
photography at all - really" LOL. People don't use Leica's anymore eh? All
P&S built in flash brigade. :)

PS - Do I sense a market opening for a 1 deg, 1 oz weight, EV display
Spotmeter?? <G>

Cheers,
Neil