Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: To M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:32:16 -0700 (PDT)

Good answer Allan.  I think I understand your comment
better now. I agree that there is a bit "myth" around
the Lecia, but I also think there is more to it than
quiet.

IMO a camera is just a tool, and any emotional
attachment is associated with the confidence I have
using it...that it will get the job done in the
expected way.  Quiet is less of an issue for me than
size. A Nikon or Canon (or for that matter Leica) SLR
is big enough that I might as well carry my
Hasselblad.  But an M is light and has optics that
give a really sharp image at 20x30. It also inspires a
level of confidence that it will get the job done
(think of Tina's comments about dropping it in the
river).

Someone wrote a few days ago that they were selling
their Leica camera because they couldn't stand the
thought of it getting scratched or dinged...I think
that is exactly WHY you spend the money...because they
can get knocked around in the real world and keep on
working.

As far as the M7 metering goes, I haven't used it, but
it doesn't sound as sophisticated as say the meter in
an F5. However, I think Leica did a good job of
understanding their customer base. People that buy
Leica M cameras seem to be more concerned about build
quality, size, weight, noise and optical performance
than they are about the latest technical innovations.

Hope I get a chance to try one soon.