Subject: RE: [Leica] OT, B.D. I got it. D100
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:28:19 -0600

every week more and more pro photographers are dumping film and going
digital. Some I know are keeping only their M's for film others are selling
them to pay for it. (one photojournalist I know is contemplating selling his
R's to go digital... - one of the few R only using photojournalists I know -
aside from Ted ). It's becoming very hard to work in photojournalism and not
pay out the fortune it takes to go digital and it is only going to become
more so. Same goes for much commercial work. It's getting close to the point
where someone shooting film at a news event is going to look like someone
turning up to shoot it with a Rollei TLR or a graphlex. Over the last seven
or eight months it's become a deluge with the number of photographers
changing over. Many of them haven't shot film since!

Is it a bad thing? I don't know - it's a tool that gets the job done and
allows you to compete (it's purely a business decision). the D100 and Canon
equivelent are certainly increasing this - your local newspaper photographer
who was using maybe two N90's or maybe N100 and an old F4 will now be able
to afford to switch (betcha didn't know most of those guys and gals at your
local paper have to provide their own gear didya...?).

So - is it on topic? well much more so than most of the stuff that gets
posted on here. Maybe people will be shooting digital for their main stuff
and grabbing the M for a few personal shots - who knows.

Me? I don't get enough "DAILY NEWS" photojournalsim assignments that are
that urgent - mainly longer term - but the film still gets digitzed and
transmitted. For the first time in well over a year I just had a client -
big nature/geographic magazine, who still wanted to see slides - wow! So I'm
hanging onto my M's and N***n's for now - actually going the other way -
just got two new Fuji lenses for my 8x10!

So, keep us up to date on the pro/am D100!

tim

Replies: Reply from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] OT, B.D. I got it. D100)