Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2
From: Pablo Kolodny <pablokolodny@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 15:24:21 -0300

Allan Wafkowski wrote:

> I too have an uneasiness about the FOM2 only accepting Leica taken
> photos. There is no way to enforce the demand. Any photo taken with any
> camera and lens can be submitted. Are the entries going to be
> authenticated by bokeh? Truth is, any slob with a point-and-shoot can
> enter FOM2. The demand leads already weak human nature down the path of
> dishonesty.
>
> Steve, I love your photos, but your logic for excluding non-Leica
> cameras is weak. Leica is supporting FOM 2, but not financially? What
> does that mean: We use $2000+ Leica cameras and $1200 Leica lenses and
> Solms gives out a self-satisfied grin? LUG membership is required to
> enter FOM2. Good. There is no reason to tamper with that requirement, so
> we need not fear the "tens-of-thousands" of unwanted entries.
>
> A FOM2 that required LUG membership, but allowed any camera to be used
> and what do you get: A bunch of people who love and use Leicas, but who
> also like to take a shot with their Olympus XA-2 or whatever camera they
> have at the moment, and if the shot comes out good, maybe send it to
> FOM2.
>
> Allan

Allan,

Finally I'm pleased to agree with you at all. 100%.
Good point.

Hope FoM2 founder/s can review all that to free us all and get pictures with
whatever the camera is. At last a project concerning such ambitious thing
like THE Family of Man would have include human beings not camera brands.
Now, if our beloved Solms guy would like to gladly and freely "sponsor" the
project we could promise them to add the red dot somewhere.

And, finally, if the project would open to a wider camera brands, or as you
suggest, to be kept only to LUG members I'd welcome thousands of images.
Probability to achieve better images would be found easier.
I agree with some other who talked about many many images under an average
quality. Then if we're intended to give the best of us we should permit more
people to come in the project and so on.
Otherwise the FoM2 project would going more on the way of a sort a humble
PAW and not closer to what once used to be the original Family of Man.

IMHO.

Pablo

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2)
Reply from bennett <3bennett@wanadoo.fr> (Re: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2)