Subject: Re: [Leica] airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: clifford wright <skidoophoto@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 07:57:21 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Ted. I will be traveling to Alaska and back
through Seattle this month, my first airline flights
since 9/11, and have been a bit worried.
 I plan to use a X-ray bag which is usually a bit
funny since they might refuse a hand check but, after
not being able to see into the bag,hand check it
anyway.
 In Asia last year I accidently ran about 5 rolls
through about 5 scanners out of the 25 to 30 I went
through and had no problems with processing either
though for peace of mind I don't want to make it a
habit.
Thanks again,
Clif Wright

- --- Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:
>  A note in the changing airport security saga. One
> must keep relaxed and
> roll with it.
>
> I walked through the metal detector frame.   beeeep!
> "excuse me sir would
> you come over here and lift your foot?"  the polite
> security guard in the
> Phoenix airport asked.
>
> "Sure thing."  Sat down wand went over shoes,
> "Please take your shoes off
> sir." Did so, they went through another scanner.
> Meanwhile my white
> stockinged feet were swept with the wand. Shoes
> returned and had to walk
> through metal detector again.
>
> "Beeeeeep!"  "Sir would you take your belt off,
> please. And walk through
> again".  "Beeeeeeep again! Meanwhile I'm trying to
> hold my pants up and walk
> at the same time. "Sir would you step over here
> please."   Two more guys
> enter the scene, one with my bionic ear control and
> little pack of 4
> batteries that went through the scanner in a tray
> along with gear shoulder
> bag.
>
> "would you tell us what this is for , sir?" "My
> bionic ears."  They look
> puzzled, "my hearing aids."  They look at my ears.
>  "Oh." Can you turn them on with this control
> please?"  "Aahhhh they're on
> or I wouldn't really be able to hear you." I smiled,
> they didn't!
>
> "Oh ." says he. And takes the wand sweeping it on
> each side of my head.
> "Beeeeeep....beeeeep!"  then hands me the aid
> control and batteries."OK sir,
> would you please step over here."  Now new guy has
> all my exposed film which
> I asked could they please do a hand check and if
> that was a problem, then
> just put it through the scanner and I'll be on my
> way to plane. The original
> guy had indicated it wasn't a problem and passed the
> clear plastic bag with
> about 80 to another.
>
> Now with my belt returned to pants I could at least
> pick-up my M7 to
> shoulder. My wife was guarding gear bag.
>
> So young guy and I walk behind a screened area where
> there are a couple of
> scanner type machines. He takes large tweezers,
> grips piece of cloth and
> swabs it inside the plastic bag of film.  Place
> cloth in machine... all
> looks good.
>
> Now he reaches into the bag, takes a handful of film
> and begins to examine
> each roll, carefully examining the end caps of the
> cassette to see if they'd
> been pried off.  I'm beginning to think I may get
> the plane the next day, my
> wife is looking concerned and at her watch.... we
> still have lots of time...
> that is, unless he looks at 80 rolls of film one at
> a time.
>
> Finally halfway through the bag he does another swab
> with cloth inside the
> [...]

=====
"The eye is for looking, not for thinking." Marc Riboud