Subject: Re: [Leica] airport security kinda long. ;-)
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:40:23 -0700 (PDT)

And they wonder why air travel is off? I'd rather sit
home or drive and avoid the hassles....from the
airline financial situation most people would too.

Until we start profiling higher risk catagories of
people it will stay like this.  Today the uneducated
guards decide who gets extra screening...At $9/hr. who
would you pick???...the friendly unthreatening sorts
(young couples with kids, grandparents, etc.) They are
the ones I usually see pulled aside...Rediculous! How
many airplanes have been hijacked by young married
couples with babies in arms? ZERO. How many by 80 year
old ladies?

All those that whine about not profiling because of
civil rights are idiots. This is war, and we have a
pretty good idea of the profile of the kind of person
we have to worry about...doesn't mean we should treat
folks that fit the profile unfairly or without respect
because 99.9999% of them are innocent. However, it
doesn't make us safer to have guards with high school
(at best) education strip searching grandmothers
either. In the end the civil rights lawyers will be
happy, and the airlines will be out of business
because no one will put up with it...particularly when
it isn't safer than it was before 9/11.