Subject: [Leica] Re: FOM 2/year 2
From: "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 11:21:55 +1000

>> Alastair, I hope you won't judge what I have said by what others' have
>> said I said. My words mean what they mean, and no more.

G'day Alan,

I'm not one to hold a grudge, or to be easily insulted or hurt. Your
submissions will receive the same enthusiam as any others, and being
"anonymous", should not be affected in the final wash up ;-) I hope you will
continue to be involved, and I hope you will continue to comment on the
project and its results.

I will add, and I need to review my mail at home, but I did think you at one
stage suggested I had "perverted" the Family of Man concept and others have
been similarly "offended" by the project. I do take a bit of hurt from this
 -- the "family of man" concept was "invented" by a nobel laureate (sorry my
spelling "sucks, esp when I'm in a hurry between cases) and taken up by
Steichen years later as a theme for his project. It is unfair and hurtful to
suggest that in celebrating this theme and the wonderful landmark exhibition
it inspired I have in someway perverted or distorted the original. We do not
"celebrate" Christmas by insisting Christ is reborn. Steichen did not have
eternal or singular ownership of the concept, and in deciding to create a
vehicle for its celebration, I have 'invented' a new project. It does not
try to re-create the original -- (in fact when we started, we were told we
never could, as if this was a reason we should not even start), but rather
to find a vehicle for those who WISH to be involved to celebrate the
concept, the original project, the world we live in and the diversity of
people and places thereon. As well, as a LUG we wanted to Leicas - hell is
this a sin. The Leica is widely regarded as being at its "best" in street
photography, so lets prove it. I know I've "drifted" from your message to
include comments of others, so forgive me, and for those who have supported
the project thank you again. Please know, that I am not offended or deterred
by the comments -- I welcome them. I do want to improve the project, but I
will also defend our right to do it. My major problem is how to get good
images myself to submit, and how to have the project Judged, without
offending people.

Cheers and here's luck