Subject: [Leica] Introduction and rangefinder flare
From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 19:30:01 +0200

I've done my lurking ... doesn't take long to hang around and read a couple
hundred messages before joining up.

Some pictures: http://geocities.com/daniel_ridings

Almost all have been taken with Leicas; the square ones, with a Rolleicord.

At the moment I'm waiting for my M3 to come back from Solms. I sent it down
last summer after dropping it ... something I do alot. They suggested
various things as long as it was there, a new rangefinder, among other
things.

I haven't been able to use it all year. Basically it flares up if there's
enough light to take a picture with a source somewhere in front of the
camera rather than behind.

They put a 35mm frame in the M3. I've always wondered if I wanted one. I
have an M4 for that lens. Now I know. I don't want it. The old rule "if you
can see it through the finder, then it's 35mm" is pretty much true. If you
wear glasses, you won't see it.

Anyway, they apologized and are now fixing it up. With a little luck I'll
get my old rangefinder back.

I read the threads about RF flare trying to figure out why. I've never had
this problem before (and have been using the cameras for a little over 30
years). Pity, it was my favorite, the M3, but after that, I didn't even use
it anymore.

Daniel Ridings
Göteborg, Sweden