Subject: Re: [Leica] Need advice on precise composition with the Leica M viewfinder please.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 14:03:04 -0700

akyyu wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am a new user of the Leica M camera.  As the viewfinder (I am using
> the 0.72 version) only shows less than 80% of the actual view, how
> can we obtain precise composition with the provided frame lines in
> the viewfinder?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> ay

Akyyu I don't believe that it's correct the viewfinder only shows 80% of
the actual view.
How could that be true? Where 'd you read this?
With which frameline?
Most framelines you pick you can see all around them, the actual view,
by quite a bit.
The whole image you are looking at i think compares to the view of a
24mm lens.
So With a 50mm lens and frameline you are seeing probably 200% of the
actual view. The 35mm frame lins 150 %.

But viewing accuracy with a rangefinder camera is not in the same class
as Pro quality SLR like a Nikon and i think canon. It's not 100%. It's
not a SLR. Leica makes those too. But I cant guess if they're 100% or
not it doesn't say on their website.

You can open up the back door of the camera and put scotch magic tape in
there to use as a groundglass set up the shot then put it back together
again.
... in other words forget it.

I bet a Visoflex is pretty accurate in terms of precise composition.
100%? Probably a tad shy of that.
I can tell you I've shot with Nikon F2's and lined things up on the edge
of a picture and it was quite nice as i print full frame black border.
But it was effortless learning to live without THAT shooting Leica M's.
They're accurate enough.

I can also tell you that in the hundreds of rolls I've shot with Leicas
in 9 years I've never looked at an image on a contact sheet and though
"That's NOT what i shot! This viewfinder is not accurate!"
It always looks right on the money from what i remember shooting.
Although half the time when shooting i don't even look though the camera anyway.
My pals will attest to that. And i recommend it.

Welcome to the list you are new here are you not? What we say here often
on the list is go out and shoot a roll of film with the camera and see
if you like the pictures. See if they seem to be not what you shot.
Keep in mine Leica has been developing these framelines since the 30's
and they by now have got it down ...although i understand there is a
medium format rangefinder camera with framelines which get bigger and
smaller as the camera focuses nearer or further. You'd think Leica could
figure THAT out!
I'd LOVE a medium format Leica.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA