Subject: Re: [Leica] WTB: 2X Extender for Leicaflex SL - NOT Extender-R
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 15:35:10 -0700

on 7/6/02 9:17 AM, Dennis Painter at dennis@hale-pohaku.com wrote:

> I asked Sherry about doing this and she said it won't work. Forgot her reason
> but
> it made sense.
>
> Seth, I suggest you call her and discuss it.
>
> Dennis
>
> Doug Herr wrote:
>
>> on 7/5/02 2:42 PM, SthRosner@aol.com at SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> Question: does your converted macro-adapter-R function on both the SL and R
>>> cameras? I know the extender on an SL will meter accurately only in
>>> stopped-down mode.
>>
>> On R bodies It works as originally designed and it works with stop-down
>> metering on the SL and SL2.
>>
>> I wouldn't count on Leica being the final word for whether the converson can
>> be done.  An experienced independant repair dude may have tried things Leica
>> hasn't recommended and found it worked.  For example, Leica cautions against
>> stacking converters but Ted and others do it anyway.
>>
>> Doug Herr
>> Birdman of Sacramento
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com
>>
>> --

One would think that it could at least be modified to work with an SL2.  No
mirror clearance issues, use stop-down metering on the SL2... the extender's
metering cam shouldn't be in the way, and the aperture stop-down lever
should work fine.  Sherry does excellent work but IMHO is reluctant to
deviate from Leica specs.  Get a few more opinions before giving up.