Subject: [Leica] The 4th in Davis, CA
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@dcn.davis.ca.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 11:43:02 -0700

The community of Davis, California is at its best on the Fourth of July. The
students are mostly gone, the weather is warm or even hot. The community has
settled in for the summer. The rich have gone to the Sierra or the ocean
leaving the rest of us who don't like to drive far on major holidays amid
the insanity on the roads to enjoy the town.

The center-piece of the day involves the bike races which run through the
down-town. The streets are blocked off by hay bales and riders of all ages
participate from those in training wheels to the pros on tour with their
$10,000 carbon-fiber machines. They are awesome-fast on city streets.

I strolled around the venue and wanted to share some of the sights of my
favorite day.

The first were these two girls who had set up a stand in front of the local
Psychic shop. They just knew, I suppose, we wanted a flag:

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/TwoGirls.jpg

A few blocks further on, outside the Baskin Robbins, was this young girl,
perched between her parents. She has suchh gorgous eyes and loves ice-cream
so much! After asking she calmly consented to these pictures:

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/YoungGirlwithIceCream.jpg

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/LickingACone.jpg

There is an open square downtown. On the Fourth a mellow jazz band was
playing for the enjoyment of the spectators. Here's the square with the bike
race passing in the background:

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/MusicVenueAndRace.jpg

While I was there a young girl was doing impromptu interpretive dance.

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/dancing-girl.jpg

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/LeapOfJoy.jpg

A rider for a future race waited so he could begin to warm up:

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/PreraceRider.jpg

And finally one image from the race itself in the heart of scenic down-town
Davis:

http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2002-4th-Davis/RaceAndFlagger.jpg

All of these were with an M6, using Tri-X at 400, processed in XTOL 1:1 at
20C.

Your comments and thoughts are, as always, appreciated.

Adam Bridge