Subject: Re: [Leica] Amtrak - apology
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 18:28:16 -0700

on 7/7/02 6:09 PM, SthRosner@aol.com at SthRosner@aol.com thoughtfully
wrote:

> I know you didn't, Mitch. My button is that we are among the extremely few
> nations I'm aware of, developed or en voie de developement, that does not
> consider it national policy to provide adequate national passenger rail
> service. For the cost of half of a jet fighter aircraft a year, our federal
> government could provide Amtrak with sufficient funds to buy new locomotives
> and passenger cars and service the ones they have so that there wouldn't be
> the breakdowns and even better service (and my experience has been very good)
> would attract greater passenger usage.

Yeah yeah yeah - but there aren't a whole lot of nations that have to move
people over the same distances that the US imposes or has the wealth to
afford air travel.

It's not long haul rail travel that the US misses - it's medium distances -
and even in the East that isn't bad. The West is sadly lacking however.

The comment about jets is just a cheap shot.

Adam