Subject: [Leica] best way to engrave my religion on my camera?
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2002 21:56:26 -0400

this "best photographers" thread reminds me of a time linda and i were at a
restaurant in an arabic country during ramadan. one of our arab friends said
"i wish i could order a beer" to which i said "why don't you?" (in the PLUG
we usually think this is a good idea) and he replied "when they checked my
i.d. they'd see i was muslim and wouldn't serve me. i'd get in trouble."
there was a lengthy pause before linda and i said, in concert, "your
_religion_ is on your ID?" and there was a similar pause before he responded
with equal slack jawed disbelief: "yours _isn't_?"

all this meaning that i really haven't really paused much to consider what
religion anybody is, photographer or not. though i do know it's impossible
to buy a camera in manhattan on friday. i would say "it doesn't matter" but
in academia, we learn that everything matters, if only for someone's
dissertation.

perhaps someone will post a list of the great scientologist photographers.

kc