Subject: Re: [Leica] 135 APO images
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 16:17:36 -0400

- --On Monday, July 8, 2002 11:46 AM -0700 Mitch Zeissler
<zeissler@directvinternet.com> wrote:

> Mark...
>
> I know that Macs handle video differently than the PC
> world does.
>
> I have both a Mac and PC at work [and a PC at home,
> which is what I did the image processing with].  On my
> Mac at work, if I use the standard iMac video setup in
> System Preferences [1.8 Standard Gamma], she looks a
> little on the green side and washed out.  If I use the
> 2.2 Television Gamma video setup, she looks better.  If
> I use No Correction [native] Gamma, she looks as I
> intended, with normal skin color and no washed out
> colors.  All of these settings are with a white point
> of 9300.  When I compare the best iMac image against
> the same images displayed on my PC monitor, the colors
> on the PC have more snap and look truer to my original
> intent.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the PC
*still* does't have any color management built-in. Don't forget, the idea
is that what you see on the screen is what you will see in a print -- not
simply that it look pleasing on the screen.

As of Mac OS X, Colorsync is built into the system and turned on by
default, which makes end to end color management much easier -- which is to
say, still difficult ;-).

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com