Subject: Re: [Leica] Was 135 APO images - now bouncing with the SF20
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 10:51:28 -0700

Mitch Zeissler wrote:

> Mark...
>
> Actually, even *with* the flash, I can see movement in many of the images at
> high magnification.  135mm shot handheld @ 1/50th is always going to have
> movement.  But the flash does tend to minimize it.
>
> /Mitch

Yes you see movement Mitch, but you usually also see that etched in
image inside. This makes for a very popular and often used "effect."
"Effect" may not be quite the term to describe this look as some
photographers habitually use a shutter sync speed 2 or 3 clicks below
the maximum to get this with almost every shot. One reason is to deal
with ambient light better in balance with the flash. A side "benefit" is
that etched in look amongst the soft outer shell.

Naturally with an M6 we don't have to use a shutter speed 2 or 3 clicks
below maxim to achieve this effect.
We can just stick with the maximum suggested speed; 1/50 and will get
all such stuff we want.

As a matter of fact when the Leicaflash first came out in the brochure a
very pronounced version of this look was illustrated. I thought it was
interesting advertising or marketing.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com