Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 21:54:04 -0700

Alastair Firkin wrote:
> I think the point I was trying to make was that for you and Tina, the
> automation is made to work for you not inspite of you. For less
> experienced users, the automation should be kept off most of the
> time, so that they (and me) can gain the sort of 6th sense which
> allowed Tina to "spot" the floor before firing the shutter.<<<

Hi Alastair
I don't have any doubt the experience of handling M6's has made the M7 a far
more useful camera with it's AE auto exposure for both Tina and myself. I
think much of what we find ourselves doing with the M7 is more or less
instinctive moves in it's use.

But then I'm not a thinking kind of photographer, I'm more of a reactor to
the motivating moment without thought. So any AE extra motions are purely by
reacting to the  action and available light or non-light.

And I agree with you, some rookies or enthusiasts should turn the AE off
until they develop a better feeling for light and how it's working for them
and not just light for an exposure.

> The other "devil" in the rangefinder -- for me-- is the central focal
> patch. <<<

That's true, but I think getting over the "everything in the middle"
composition can be over come by taking ones time and shooting stationary
subjects in the learning stage, where focus can take place and composition
second. Eventually this can be moved up a notch through practice so moving
subjects can be focused and still do composition all at the same time.

And sure on some shoots there isn't time for focusing and being extra
careful in composing and you go with what you have, bettering the
composition in the darkroom during enlarging or in the use of PhotoShop..

Obviously with the M7 there is the danger of doing everything .... center
composed due the quick action of the AE allowing one to shoot with not much
thought. Again I feel any of these point & shoot composition concerns and
re-actions can and will be over come with time and practice of shooting.

But one must be aware of this and make their changes as they become better
at handling the camera. And it will come with time and experience.

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica] M7 or not to M7, c'est la question - LONG)