Subject: Re: [Leica] Bouncing with the SF20 (long)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 11:33:23 -0700

Mitch Zeissler wrote:

> Frank...
>
> Understood on all points.
>
> The thing that everyone seems to be missing is that I *don't* want a heavy
> flash rig [my back wants everything to be as minimal as possible].  With the
> SF20 being as light and as small as it is, I can take it with me everywhere
> and not have any back problems.
>
> Sure, it has limitations, but that's okay.  I'm learning what I can do with
> it and it is to be used for those occasions when the intended audience would
> have issues with subject movement in low light scenarios.
>
> /Mitch

Recently I've been inspired by the work of Larry Fink in a show i saw at
the S. Josefsberg gallery here in Portland Or.
http://www.skjstudio.com/fink/index.html

It looks to me like he was using a small light on camera but has an
assistant running around with a big strobe slaved.

I shot a Ball that way for the Portland Art Museum mainly she got behind
them and gave them a hair light. But the light would inevitably blast
the side of peoples faces and it just looked great! It was not pure
flash on camera flash. Although i LIKE pure flat on camera flash in many
an occasion. But this was 300 bucks a plate or some such thing! :)

It also lights up the backgrounds which is a big deal.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com