Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 sorrow
From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:39:58 +0200

>sounds like they didn't understand what you needed done?
>why did they mention flare??

Rei,
They took out my original M3 rangefinder and replaced it with a "new" one.
This so that the camera would be "of maximum use" blaha blaha.

I agreed. When I got it back, I couldn't use it anymore. I know that "flare"
is a no-no here, but this things flares at the slightest hint of light from
any angle other than directly into my face, in front of the camera. And I
can't use the center of the rangefinder (I think). If I shift the camera and
try and focus through the left-hand side of the rangefinder square, I get
another line-up of the two images than if I use the center of the
rangefinder square. If I use the center, my images are consistently out of
focus. That's why I'm guessing that the right-hand side might be the better
bet. This isn't in theory, I really notice that the shots from the M3 are
consistently soft when compared to the M4. That's why the M3 ended up on the
shelf. I finally pulled it down before their warranty went out, but they
don't think anything is wrong. Sure, if you set it on a test-bench, maybe
things are ok. But you can't really use it to take pictures with (below f8.0
at close distances ... forget the 90 mm summicron).

I think they probably have a stock of lousy rangefinders they're trying to
unload on unsuspecting customers.

Daniel