Subject: Re: [Leica] Focotar focal length
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:08:22 +1000

>Hello to everybody.
>
>I wish to replace a 40mm. Focotar in bad conditions with the Apo-Componon
>45 mm (effective focal length 46.5 mm)- and not the less performer 40mm
>(effective focal length 42)- and I have some doubts. Does anybody know the
>exact focal length of the 40 mm. Focotar mounted on the V35? I read that
>with the Apo-Componon 40 mm. the autofocus does not work: is this correct?
>If this is correct and since I am ready to loose the autofocus fucntion
>of the V35, the 45mm. would be better in performance. As an althernative,
>I could change the ratio of the autofocus to 45 (or to 50 mm., matching
>my Apo-Rodagon 50 mm. N).
>Did anybody changed by himself/herself the autofocus setting from 40mm.
>to 50 mm.? The Italian Leica importer (Polyphoto) has been answered by Leica
>Germany that they are not doing the transformation from 40 to 50 mm. anymore.
>
>Thanks for any advice.  Best regards from Milan.
>
>Diego Rigatti

Diego,

I am about to receive a Focomat 35, and have been "told" that each
lens is matched to the focusing cam. At one time Leica could match a
lens to the cam and allow accurate autofocus of other lenes. Seems
from what you are saying that this is not an option now. You can
disconnect the autofocus (I believe), and I would be surprised if the
Leica trained "independents" around the world were not capable of
matching a new cam combination for you.

Keep us informed as to your progress

Cheers
- --