Subject: [Leica] rangefinder vertical alignment
From: Herbert & Lee Kanner <kanner@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:35:02 -0700

There is an alternative, if this happens often.  One of the LUG members
adjusted my vertical rangefinder alignment.  It involved removing the red
dot, which is just held on with a kind of rubber cement.  He removed it by
rotating it with a couple of improvised wooden tools, toothpicks, I think,
the concept being that if they slipped, they wouldn't scratch the camera.
He also remarked that if the red dot was mangled in any way, Leica would
send out a replacement for free.  He then proceeded to adjust the alignment
through a small hole that the red dot had covered.  This was done with a
special steel tool, a thin steel rod with a kink at the end similar to a
cartoonists concept of the kink at the end of a Siamese cat's tail.  The
downside to all this, other than it was ten or fifteen minutes of trial and
error, is that the tool had to be purchased from Leica in Germany, and the
price was something like $250 plus shipping.

In my case, the red dot stuck firmly back, unharmed.

Herb
- --
Herbert Kanner
kanner@acm.org