Subject: Re: [Leica] Jumpers for goalposts
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:27:45 -0700

Stuart Phillips wrote about Johan Doumont's photograph.

>>> It's a good picture - a wonder if you think about the age of the
> cameras.  The colors in the foreground are so beautiful - I don't think
> the boys are too close together- have you thought of cropping the
> washed-out background out?  Leave it as a kind of mystery what the boys
> are looking down at/<<<<<

Sorry Stuart the picture is interesting but unfortunately the exposure is
backwards and completely spoils the photograph.

This is a colour shot where the correct exposure should've been for the
highlights..!!!!
Unfortunately the  background is washed out because that's where the
exposure should've been set for and let the boys in the foreground fall
where they may... close to a silhouette.

Your comment of the colours in the foreground >>are so beautiful <<<< is
interesting, but the background is where the eye goes due to it being so far
overexposed foreground becomes meaningless..

One should keep in mind when shooting colour, slides for sure, expose for
the highlights and let everything else fall where they may inrelation to
that exposure. I bet if this shot were exposure corrected for the highlights
it really would be an interesting photograph.

At the moment it just doesn't work because the exposure is wrong!..... well
Ok from a professionals eye and opinion.

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant

Replies: Reply from "Johan Doumont" <johan.doumont@pandora.be> (Re: [Leica] Jumpers for goalposts)