Subject: Re: [Leica] Hands
From: DFangon@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 03:01:04 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/02 11:13:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tedgrant@shaw.ca writes:

<< So once again it points up just how stupid the marketing people are who
 thought up this advertising tripe!  Shame! Shame! >>

I think this assessment is too harsh.  Second guessing an advertising
campaign without being privy to the process is presumptous at best.  What
makes one think that their ideas are better than others?  Why do we presume
Leica wants to improve their market share?  Market share involves more than
just advertising, it involves distributions channels, and margins and sales
compensations and increased inventory, and pricing strategy etc. etc. etc.
If market share was what Leica wanted all these years, I suspect they would
have kept up with the pace with autofocus and all the other gizmos.  But we
all know that the company has chosen a conservative path, carving a niche for
themselves with a quality product that is the best at what it is made for -
not cheap, not trendy, not cutting edge, just solid dependability one can
count on for a lifetime.  As for the advertising, it is in the eye of the
beholder.
Dante