Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanners
From: Darrell Jennings <darrell_jennings@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:06:41 -0700 (PDT)

Stu, I have a 2450 and recently purchased a Nikon
8000ED. I haven't used the Nikon enough to comment
(only got my computer back from repair yesterday and
the scanner came while my mother board was being
replaced)...

However I can comment on the 2450. For the price it is
a great scanner. It is available at a number of sites
for around $360, and comes packaged with an upgrade
from the Photoshop Elements (which is included with
the 2450) to Photoshop release 7 for under $300. So if
you are going to get Photoshop 7 anyway, you get the
scanner for something like $100...So it is a good deal
financially.

It works really well for posting shots on the web. It
is easy to use, and while not fast, is not any slower
than anything else that you would remotely consider in
terms of the price range you are looking at (under
$5K).  The software interface is simple and easy to
use for a digital imaging novice. If you don't care to
upgrade to full Photoshop 7, the Photoshop Elements
program will do all the tweaking you probably will
need for web site posting.

It is also fine for printing on a desktop ink jet
printer. I've gotten some really nice prints out of my
HP 970 deskjet using the 2450.

So where does it fall short of the really expensive
scanners?  Probably in areas you won't care about...I
was very happy with the 2450 until I upgraded my
printers and went to expensive archival inks and
papers.  Now I see noise on some scans (color
distortion in some solid color areas of the print)
that I didn't see with a regular desktop "photo
quality" ink jet printer.  So unless you plan on
printing big prints and trying for true wet darkroom
equivilant final product you will not see the
noise...at least I didn't.

I went with the Nikon 8000 because it goes to 4000 DPI
on medium format, and has incorporated some technology
to minimize noise.  The 2450 will only go to
1200DPI...Note that the software indicates that it
goes higher. It will produce a higher DPI image, but
it is not done "optically", it is done by SW
interpretation of the optical image it has
scanned...so there is no real reason to scan an image
at more than 1200 DPI with the 2450.

Bottom line is that unless you are trying to do some
fairly high end digital darkroom work you will be VERY
happy with the 2450. If you decide later that you want
to upgrade to another scanner, you will probably want
to keep the 2450.  I am keeping mine for the occasions
when I want to scan hard copies or odd size images
(like glass slides).  The next step up in scanning
technology is a big one financially, so the 2450 is a
great way to get started. One warning...once you get
started with this stuff it's hard to stop...Good luck,
DJ