Subject: Re: [Leica] airport security kinda really long. ;-)
From: Bryan Caldwell <bcaldwell51@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:45:30 -0700

Marc,

We've been talking about the Bill of Rights - which, I'm sure you'll agree,
extend to illegal aliens present within U.S. borders. Illegals have full
free speech rights, protection from unreasonable searches and seizures,
right to counsel, speedy trial, trial by jury, etc - to the same extent as
citizens or legal residents. In Plyer v. Doe (1982) where the Supremes
struck down an attempt by Texas to deny public schooling to children of
illegal aliens, the Court also held that the 14th Amendment guarantee of
equal protection applies to anyone within the borders - regardless of the
legality of their presence.

So, illegal aliens are afforded full due process rights and equal protection
under the law. Of course, they are denied the rights inherent in citizenship
(voting, running for office, etc.) just as legal residents are.

As usual, I'd be happy to continue this OT discussion off-list.

Bryan