Subject: Re: [Leica] Focotar focal length
From: "Daniel Ridings" <dlridings@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:20:41 +0200

Diego:
>>I wish to replace a 40mm. Focotar in bad conditions with the

Alastair:

>I am about to receive a Focomat 35, and have been "told" that each lens is
>matched to the focusing cam. Diego,

Diego,
I have a Focomat 35 and was told the same thing when I bought it. In fact,
the salesman, in a good store here in Göteborg (and a friend before he was a
salesman), pointed to a Focomat sitting next to the one I bought and said
you couldn't even switch lenses on the two (both had the 40mm Focotar). I
didn't want to anyway, so I didn't follow it up.

How can an enlarging lens, that just hangs around in an enlarger all its
life, get into bad shape? Must be fungus or something?

Picked up my Focomat for coins: 260 USD. Aparently the newspapers are
dumping their analogue stuff and some of the more esoteric stuff (Focomat 35
only works with 35mm) is going cheap. Nice for me.

The autofocus is nice ... but I wouldn't do anything drastic.

I've also heard that the whole set up is part of the "lens". You can't use
these Focotars in just any old enlarger. Part of the construction is in the
enlarger proper, so I'm told. I don't know if that means you could run into
problems putting another lens on the Focomat.

Daniel